Each year, Young Carers’ Awareness Day (YCAD) is held to raise public awareness of the challenges faced by young people because of their caring role. This year the theme is ‘Count Me In!’. National charity, Carers Trust, of which Blackpool Carers is a network partner, is calling on compulsory education providers to do more to proactively identify young carers and to ensure that they receive the recognition and support they deserve.
This year, Young Carers’ Awareness Day is Thursday 30th January. To enable local schools to get involved by raising awareness and also funds for Blackpool’s Young Carers, we have organised two special events, detailed below:
Blackpool Carers’ staff will be hitting the road to deliver information packs to all schools in the area in the week leading up to Young Carers Awareness Day (30th January) to help you support young carers in your school.
Packs will include information including:
- signs to look out for
- how to support young carers
- how Blackpool Carers can support you
- and a pledge for you to support young carers in your school.
The Cycle4YoungCarers Challenge will also be supported by a press and social media campaign.
To sign up for an information pack and receive a visit from our staff as part of our Cycle4Young Carers Challenge please contact Jessie deBurgh-Hemming on 01253 393748 or Jessie.dBh@blackpoolcarers.org by Thursday 16th January.
School’s Super Snap Competition
What is involved?
- On YCAD (Thursday 30th January) each pupil in your school ‘Dresses Up’ using one of the following 3 themes:
– Dress to Impress (young carers are impressive)
– Superheroes (young carers are heroes every day)
– Hats Off to Young Carers (young carers wear many hats and carry out numerous roles) – Hats can be made by the pupils prior to the event
- Pupils give a minimum suggested donation of £1 to enter
- Each school takes imaginative/creative photographs of their ‘Dressed Up’ pupils and posts them on Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #YCADSuperSnap and tagging in BlackpoolCarers. These will be promoted by Blackpool Carers to raise as much awareness of young carers as possible. It will also promote your school’s involvement too.
- The most creative photograph will be chosen as the winner on Wednesday 12th February by Blackpool Carers Centre staff and Rocco (the Carers Centre mascot).
- Rocco will then visit the winning school at a mutually agreeable date and time to present the Winner’s Trophy.
- The winning photograph will also be displayed on our website and in the March 2020 edition of our magazine, Caring Times.
- Staff from Blackpool Carers will visit your school to collect the funds raised at a mutually agreeable date.
To register to take part in either or both of the above events, please contact Jessie deBurgh-Hemming on 01253 393748 orJessie.dBh@blackpoolcarers.org by Thursday 16th January.