What is the Work Experience Project
Our Work Experience Project is passionate about realising the potential of differently abled people. We recognise that every person has unique skills and strengths which need to be identified and fulfilled. With this in mind, we work with students at Highfurlong, Park and Redmarsh School enabling them to take part in meaningful work experience activities that inform and assist the journey to valued paid employment.
In 2013-2014 only 6.8%. of people with learning disabilities were in some form of part-time paid employment.
How are we different
- Our placements are for only one day a week for either 2, 4 or 6 weeks
- The maximum hours will be 10.00am-2.00pm
- Many students will have 1:1 support
- We ensure we match the right student to the right employer
- We continue to offer support for as long as it’s needed (to the student and employer)
Employers: What’s in it for you?
- There is no cost to employers for using our Service
- Employers can be assured that we match the right student to the right employer
- Our Work Experience Coordinator works alongside the employers to ensure that the new student is successful and the employer’s essential requirements are met. Our support extends to the work placement and for as long as is required.
- Offering placements to differently abled people into your teams will greatly expand your understanding and perceptions.
- The satisfaction of knowing you are helping to realise an individual’s true potential.
- Links on our website and articles in our triannual magazine (minimum print run 7,000 per issue).
A selection of employers who have supported this worthwhile project:
- Blackpool Council
- C J’s Cycles
- Head Hunters
- Marks Pet Shop
- Pizza Hut
- Premier Inn
- Royal Mail
- The Plant Place
- The Red lion
- The Reptile Room
- The Sandcastle
- World of Water
How you can get involved
We always need more businesses, so if you have, or know of, a business that would like to be involved in this rewarding project, please contact our Work Experience Coordinator, Helen Hay on 01253 393748 or email: email@example.com
Testimonials from our employers
“The project is very good as I wouldn’t have thought about giving a job to a person with learning disabilities, but now I would.”
“Work Experience Project students are far more interested than students from mainstream school”
“The students work harder than our own staff!”
“Please can we have another student?”